Instagram marketing can be a pain if you have trouble writing engaging captions. In a sea of endless scrolling, you want to make sure your caption is interesting enough to stop the scroll. Here are some tips that I use in my business that helped me create better quality captions.
1. Having trouble writing? Record yourself
When I first started Instagram marketing I used to spend hours trying to write down the perfect caption. Is this you too? My best tip is to record yourself talking out loud as if you're speaking to one person then type what you say.
When you're talking out loud it's SOO much easier to get the words out and you will cut your writing time significantly.
2. Give your captions room to breathe
You spend time and energy writing your captions but if no one wants to read them then you just wasted your precious time.
Big blocks of text can overload the viewer with too much information and they are more likely to skip reading altogether.
Separate your captions into bite-size pieces for better read rates.
Notice how instead of this:
You spend time and energy writing your captions but if no one wants to read them then you just wasted your precious time. Big blocks of text can overload the viewer with too much information and they are more likely to skip reading altogether. Separate your captions into bite-size pieces for better read rates. I split up this caption into easily digestible bite-size pieces?
3. Make the most of the first sentence
Think of the first sentence as a headline. Exactly like a newspaper or magazine headline the first sentence determines if the reader will read the rest of the caption.
The first sentence is the most important part of your caption and deserves the most effort.
I always leave the first sentence till last and I write it with intention. Some headline examples: · Are you ready to ......... and start........... · The secret to being a .............. · If you're struggling with ........... you are not alone
· What I learned from .......... · Welp! That was a big week
· Sharing my exact method to........
4. Use Storytelling
Instagram should not be used as a platform to robotically talk about your business. We should be using it to connect with other people and create a personal connection. Storytelling can be a powerful tool for your brand to captivate the reader.
The people who connect with you, the more they are likely to think of you when they are ready to buy your product or use your service. Use these 7 important tips for business storytelling for your next caption.
5. Include a Call to Action
At the end of your caption your audience needs to know what to do next. Do you want them to visit your website? Send you an email? Read your new blog? By telling your audience what to do they are more likely to take action. Examples: · Want to raise your rates? Visit our website to learn more · TGIF! What are your weekend plans? Comment below · Tap save for later for......... · Double tap
· Swipe right to see this transformation
6. Add Value There are a variety of reasons why people go on Instagram—entertainment, inspiration, helpful tips and to connect with loved ones just to name a few. If you want high quality captions that engage the viewer you want to provide value.
Though this does not mean that everything you post should be educational or helpful. It can be helpful if you set up content pillars to help you figure out what you want to write. For example my content pillars are Inspirational Quotes, Education, Personal Posts, and Alaska.
Don't forget that sharing personal stories can help your viewers know that they aren't along in their feelings or experiences.
Does your caption have value?? Here are some questions to ask yourself... · Does your audience care about this post topic?
· If I saw this in my feed, how would I react?
· Am I encouraging conversation, or am I just being preachy?
· Is this interesting, thought-provoking, providing a solution or entertaining?
· What impact will this have on my brand?
6. Have Fun with Emojis! Add some personality to your Instagram caption with emojis! There are many uses for these small symbols: · Capture attention at the beginning of your Instagram caption · Create space between sentences · Add emotion
· Replace bullet points
but don't go emoji crazy you still want your caption to make sense, you just want to add a little pizzaz and color to keep things interesting.